Some users may experience an issue where they receive spam emails that are marked as whitelisted, even though the whitelist has been disabled. This problem could be related to the priority of whitelists over filters in the Filter Priority List. A potential cause of this issue is a blank entry in the user's whitelist, which could allow spam emails to bypass the filters and be marked as whitelisted.
To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
- Check your whitelist for a blank entry. This can be done by sorting your whitelist and looking for an entry that is empty or just contains a space.
- If you find a blank entry, delete it. This should stop spam emails from bypassing your filters and being marked as whitelisted.
- If no blank entries are found in the whitelist, check the filter priority, move the Whitelist up, save and check if the issue persists. You can follow the Sorting Anti-Spam Filters by Priority article for guidance.
If you are unable to find or delete the blank entry, open a new support ticket and provide the following files for further investigation:
- C:\Program Files (x86)\GFI\MailEssentials\Antispam\config.mdb
- C:\Program Files (x86)\GFI\MailEssentials\Antispam\data\controllists.sdf
- The screenshot of the filter priority.
- Description of what checks and steps were performed so far.
By checking your whitelist for blank entries and deleting any that are found, you can prevent spam emails from being marked as whitelisted. If you are unable to find or delete the blank entry, providing specific files can help in further investigation and resolution of the issue.
What is a whitelist?
A whitelist is a list of email addresses or domains that you have designated as legitimate or safe. Emails from these addresses or domains will not be marked as spam.
What is the Filter Priority List?
The Filter Priority List is a list that determines the order in which email filters are applied. If a whitelist has a higher priority than a spam filter, emails from whitelisted addresses or domains will not be marked as spam, even if they meet the criteria of the spam filter.
What should I do if I can't find a blank entry in my whitelist?
If you can't find a blank entry in your whitelist, you should provide the specified files for further investigation. These files can help identify and delete any blank entries.