In order to move GFI MailEssentials from one machine to another and retain your existing configuration settings, the following points need to be considered.
- It is recommended to have the new installation as similar as possible to the replaced installation.
- The installation path of both installations need to be the same.
- The Exchange version of both machines need to be the same.
- If you are currently running in Gateway mode, the new installation should also be in Gateway mode.
- The same build of GFI MailEssentials which is currently should also be installed on the new server. If an upgrade is required, you can upgrade the installation on the old server before moving the installation to the new server.
- If GFI MailEssentials was retrieving users from Active Directory, the new machine needs to be part of the same Active Directory domain as the old one.
- If GFI MailEssentials is installed in SMTP Gateway mode, GFI MailEssentials can be moved to any other machine, as long as you select to retrieve users in the same way -- This is selected during installation.
- During the installation of GFI MailEssentials on the new machine, you should select to retrieve users using the same method that was used in the old installation.
Proceed as follows to move your current GFI MailEssentials installation to the new server:
- Configure IIS SMTP on the new server in exactly the same way as it is on the old server.(Note: Must be same drive path and same install of Either SMTP or same Version Of Exchange)
- Install MailEssentials on the New Server
- Log on to the old machine as 'Administrator'.
- On the Old server Navigate to the Install directory Of MailEssentials. (Example: C:\Program Files (x86)\GFI\MailEssentials)
- Locate the File named meconfigmgr.exe. Right Click and run as Admin
- Select the Export option and the location to export the settings to.
- Copy the exported settings to the new server.
- Load into services.msc and stop SMTP or Exchange Transport Service.(Note this will queue Mail until restarted in step 12)
- Stop all GFI MailEssentials services
- Locate the meconfigmgr.exe from Step 4 on the new server and run at elevated prompt
- Select the Import option and locate the files moved over from old server and select ok to start the import.(Note all GFI MailEssentials Services in order to complete the import)
- Restart all services that were stopped from steps 8 and 9.
All settings should be successfully moved from the old to new.