This article aims to clarify how you can check whether your current MailEssentials installation is configured in Active Directory (AD) mode or in SMTP mode.
Information regarding whether the install was done in SMTP mode or AD mode can be found in the registry. To determine the install mode, follow the steps below:
- Open the registry editor:
- From the Start menu, click Run.
- In the Open box, type
regedit, and click OK.
- Locate the MailEssentials configuration branch. This may differ depending on whether your operating system is on 64bit (X86_64) or 32bit (X86):
The two keys present here will help you identify how MailEssentials is configured.
The Modetype key will show what mode MailEssentials is installed in, while the Modexch key will display what version of Exchange Server MailEssentials is installed:
- 0: Users retrieved from AD
- 2: Users not retrieved from AD (SMTP mode)
- 0: Not installed on Exchange (relay)
- 1: Installed on Microsoft Exchange 2000
- 2: Installed on Microsoft Exchange 2003
- 3: Installed on Microsoft Exchange 2007
- 4: Installed on Microsoft Exchange 2010
- 5: Installed on Microsoft Exchange 2013
- 6: Installed on Microsoft Exchange 2016