- While troubleshooting GFI MailEssentials issues, users may need to perform advanced troubleshooting steps.
- To do that users need to gather detailed troubleshooting information for understanding the root cause and sharing the same details with the Support Team to help resolve the issue.
- This article explains the process for gathering troubleshooting information around the GFI MailEssentials issues and uploading it to the GFI FTP portal for support.
Recreating the Issue:
Recreate the issue and take screenshots of any details that relate to the recurrence. Please note that this information is not gathered by the LogGatherer tool and need to be uploaded manually.
- Keep a record of the exact steps taken including hour and minute of when the issue occurred.
- Use the Problems Step Recorder (psr.exe) to capture screenshots. It is bundled with current versions of Windows operating systems.
- If not using psr.exe, ensure that the screenshots show the whole screen including the system clock with the hour and minute.
Generating the Troubleshooter Logs:
- The Troubleshooter Program can be run through the Start Menu: Start > Programs > GFI MailEssentials > Troubleshooter
- Follow the Log Generation Wizard for collecting the required and pertinent information.
Creating the Compressed File to Upload (Manual Method):
- Create a new folder on your desktop and give it a name reflecting your Ticket Number.
- The Troubleshooter will generate its logs in a folder at the following location, depending on the product version:
- MailEssentials 2012: ..\Program Files (x86)\GFI\MailEssentials\Troubleshooter\support\ (No zip file is created, gather the support entire directory)
- MailEssentials 2014: C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\GFI Software\Support\<filename>.zip
- MailEssentials 2015: C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\GFI Software\Support<filename>.zip
- Move these logs to the folder you created in step 1.
- Right-Click the folder now containing the Troubleshooter Logs and select Sent To > Compressed (Zipped) Folder.
- Use the information in the section titled Uploading to the GFI FTP to upload the logs.
Creating the Compressed File to Upload (Automatic Method):
- Open the GFI LogGatherer tool (Start Menu: Programs > GFI MailEssentials > Troubleshooter)
- Read the terms of usage and click the Next button to accept.
- Fill in the details as seen in the screenshot below. Including case number, if this log is related to an existing case.
- The logs will be automatically uploaded to our FTP site.
Uploading to GFI FTP:
- Open Windows Explorer (Not Internet Explorer) and navigate to:
- Go to File > Login As (If you do not see File, tap Alt)
- Use the following Login Credentials. Please note once you log in, all the files/folders will be hidden.
- Drag and drop the Zipped Log Folder created previously into the FTP Window. Please note that only archive (compressed) files can be uploaded to the FTP site.
- Inform Support once the file has successfully uploaded.