This article is a general guide that explains where we can configure EWS and the options that are available to us. Generally, it will be used for reference on services and modules in MailEssentials that requires EWS and some configuration might be required to be in place.
Exchange Web Services (EWS) provides the functionality to enable client applications to communicate with the Exchange server. This setting is found under Email Security > Information Store Protection.
Here, you can configure the settings used to connect to Microsoft Exchange. EWS uses the Exchange account configured in the Switchboard to connect to the Information Store.
|Microsoft Exchange Server URL||
Choose Auto-Discovery to allow GFI MailEssentials to automatically find your Microsoft Exchange server. If Exchange is not discoverable, choose Manual to enter the Exchange Web Services (EWS) URL manually. The URL is usually composed in the following syntax:
Note: The Exchange Web Services (EWS) URL can also be retrieved by running this command in Exchange Management Shell:
Click to ensure that GFI MailEssentials can connect to the Microsoft Exchange Information Store using the provided details.
|Scan Public Folders||
Select to also scan items in Public Folders.
|Simultaneous mailbox scans||Define the number of mailboxes to scan at the same time. The default number of simultaneous mailboxes is 1. Defining a higher number uses more system resources for scanning, but more items can get scanned in a shorter time.|
Here is a breakdown of the settings that can be modified:
- In the Scanning Schedule area, you can define a schedule when to run Information Store Scanning. When the schedule is on, GFI MailEssentials goes through items that were not scanned in each mailbox.
- On scanning all new items in a mailbox, it starts scanning the next mailbox. When all mailboxes are scanned, it restarts scanning new items in the first mailbox again and repeats the process until the schedule is turned off. Choose the type of schedule to run:
- Continuous scanning: Run Information Store Protection via EWS without pause.
- Timed interval: Run scans in a defined schedule. Choose Daily to run a scan every day or On the following day(s) to run a scan on selected days only. Define the time when to run the scan and the duration of the scan in hours.
- In the Excluded Mailboxes area, add any mailboxes which you do not want the Information Store Protection to scan.
Note: Scanning via EWS can be time-consuming and uses considerable system resources, so it is recommended to run scans during off-peak hours only.