When uninstalling or upgrading GFI MailEssentials, you receive the following error:
Error 1714 The older version of GFI MailEssentials for EXCH/SMTP cannot be removed.
- GFI MailEssentials
- All supported environments
There is a corruption in the Microsoft Windows registry that is preventing the uninstall of the previous version of GFI MailEssentials.
- Choose Start > Run.
- Navigate to
- Find the key for the GFI MailEssentials install.
- Note: The exact key varies depending on the version installed.
- Once you locate the correct folder, delete it.
- Run the install for the older version that is currently installed on the machine.
Note: It is very important to follow these directions correctly. If you do not repair the old versions, you will end up with two versions of the software installed and neither one will function correctly.