POP2Exchange is a system that collects email messages from POP3 (Post Office Protocol Version 3) mailboxes and routes them to mail servers, it downloads emails from a POP3 server, then processes and sends them to the local mail server. This article covers the steps to properly configure POP2Exchange from POP3 server to enable the POP3 downloader.
The recommendation for GFI MailEssentials is, if possible, to avoid using POP3 and to use SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) since POP3 is designed for email clients and not for mail servers. Notwithstanding this fact, and to cater for situations where a static IP address required by SMTP is not available, GFI MailEssentials can use POP3 to retrieve email.
Step By Step Guide
- Go to the POP2Exchange node.
- In the POP3 tab, check the option Enable POP2Exchange from POP3 server to enable the POP3 downloader.
- In the POP3 Mailboxes box, specify the details of the POP3 servers to download emails from:
Option Description POP3 Server Enter the IP address of the POP3 server to download emails from. Port Enter the POP3 port. By default, POP3 uses port 110, or port 995 when using a secure connection. Use SSL Choose this option if the POP3 server requires a secure connection. Accept Invalid Certificate Choose this option if you want to ignore unverified certificates from the POP3 server. It is recommended to disable this option and ensure that all certificates are validated. Login & Password Specify the credentials to log in to the POP3 mailbox. Alternate address If the emails in the mailbox are addressed to a recipient that is not on one of the GFI MailEssentials local domains, emails will be routed to this address. Ensure that this is a local address, configured on the mail server and protected by GFI MailEssentials. Send mail to:
Address stored in 'To' field: GFI MailEssentials analyzes the email header and routes the email accordingly. If email analyzing fails, the email is sent to the email address specified in the Alternate address field.
- Alternate address: GFI MailEssentials does not analyze the email headers and all emails from this mailbox are forwarded to the email address configured in Alternate address.
- Address stored in 'To' field: GFI MailEssentials analyzes the email header and routes the email accordingly. If email analyzing fails, the email is sent to the email address specified in the Alternate address field.
- Click Add to add the POP3 server details. Choose a previously added POP3 Server and click Update to replace it with the newly entered settings.
- Repeat the steps above to add multiple POP3 servers.
- In POP3 Options configure:
Option Description Check every (minutes) Specify the download interval in minutes. Do not deliver emails larger than Specify a maximum download size in KBytes. If the email exceeds this size, it will not be downloaded. If mail is larger, then:
Choose to delete an email larger than the maximum allowed size, or send a message to the postmaster.
- Click Apply.
Once saved, the configured details take effect. Emails larger than the specified size are deleted or a message is sent to the postmaster.