This article lists the knowledge base articles that provide resolutions or workarounds for common errors related to the Access Control module and user permissions. It also describes where to locate relevant logs related to user management and permissions.
Some permissions errors are presented directly on the UI, while for others, you need to gather and review the debug logs. Check the below list of knowledge base articles that discuss common issues related to the Access Control module. If none provides a specific solution to your issue, follow the instructions in the Reviewing Logs section for details on where to locate the relevant debug logs in order to narrow down the root cause.
Common User Management / Permissions Errors
Below there is a list of knowledge base articles describing the common errors related to MailEssentials User management and Permissions:
- Error: 'Access denied. Your account does not have permissions to view this site' and the SID.log says 'GetListOfMembersInGroups System.IndexOutOfRangeException'
- Error: 'An email address needs to be set for this user in active directory' when trying to log in even though there is an email address present
- Error: "error: Getting User Groups..." When Accessing MailEssentials Web Interface
- IIS mode is timing out when trying to verify user groups
- A Potentially Dangerous Request.Form Value Was Detected from the Client (txtPassword)
- If an end user accesses quarresults.aspx directly, they can see everyone's emails in the quarantine
- Unable to add user in Access Control
- User Console Displayed When Logging into the MailEssentials WebUI with a Domain Admin
To get more detailed error information or when there are no direct errors presented from the UI, you can check the following debug logs as part of the troubleshooting process for permission's related issues:
|Debug log filename||Path||Description|
|SID.log||..GFI\MailEssentials\Attendant\debuglogs\||Debug log file for AD queries for user accounts|
|PermissionCache.log||..GFI\MailEssentials\Attendant\debuglogs\||Debug log file for queries to the cached user accounts|
|usercntado.txt||..GFI\MailEssentials\Attendant\debuglogs\||Debug log for the module that counts users when MailEssentials is installed in SMTP mode|
|usercntad.log||..GFI\MailEssentials\Attendant\debuglogs\||Debug log for the module that counts users when the MailEssentials is installed in AD mode. Will list all the users that are counted from AD.|
|usercntvsapi.txt||..GFI\MailEssentials\Attendant\debuglogs\||Log file for the module that counts users when MES is installed on the same machine as Exchange server. Exchange mailboxes are counted in this case.|
|ConfigurationUI.log||..GFI\MailEssentials\wwwconf\debuglogs\||Debug log file for the web application in general. This will normally log errors which will effect the Web Application as a whole.|