The anti-spam engine (GfiscanS.exe) in GFI MailEssentails 21.6 crashes continuously. The Application logs in the Event Viewer shows that
gfiscans.exe is crashing with a fault in
Faulting application name: gfiscans.exe, version: 21.6.11004.33, time stamp: 0x5e39198c
Faulting module name: gfi_log.dll, version: 21.6.11004.203, time stamp: 0x563c82b5
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\GFI\MailEssentials\Antispam\gfiscans.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\GFI\MailEssentials\Antispam\gfi_log.dll
Versions / Builds Affected
After applying a .NET update (specifically: KB4580422), the GfiscanS.exe in GFI MailEssentails 21.6 crashes constantly. It has been observed that disabling tracing stops the crashes.
TT / JIRAID
How to Identify
- MailEssentials AntiSpam Scan engine is continuously crashing after applying Windows updates.
- KB4580422 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework recently installed.
- AS Scan service has to be manually restarted several times to keep it running steadily.
Ensure that there are no update related issues causing the Anti-Spam Scan engine to crash, by following the steps below:
- Enable updates over HTTP.
- Reset SpamRazer definition files.
- Reset AntiPhishing definition files.
- Ensure the firewall is not blocking access to the update locations as specified in the GFI MailEssentials Port Description article.
The steps below are common to all tickets, and the most likely to have helped.
Disable tracing and make sure that the latest .NET update has been applied:
- Disable email tracing in MailEssentials Switchboard.
- Ensure that the latest updates of Microsoft .NET Framework are installed on the server.
Download .NET Framework 4.8
- Alternatively, remove KB4580422, if installed, reboot, and check to see if it corrects the issue.