When the Public Folder Scanning Setting is configured to poll using Web Services, clicking on the Test button fails. The correct server name and credentials are used.
With tracing enabled, the
\GFI\MailEssentials\Attendant\DebugLogs\PFTrainEWS.log file shows the following error:
2020-09-23,20:47:58,431,1,"#00002B30","#00000049","info ","PFTrainEWS","<user> : https://<server name>:443/EWS/Exchange.asmx"
2020-09-23,20:47:58,842,1,"#00002B30","#00000049","error ","PFTrainEWS","error:PFTrain EWS Test Failed: The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized."
- This article contains instructions from a third-party Microsoft article that tells you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Make sure that you follow these steps carefully and added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, see How to back up and restore the registry in Windows.
- Please note that this workaround may make your computer or your network more vulnerable to attack by malicious users or by malicious software such as viruses. The decision to implement this should be made at your own discretion and GFI will not be liable for potential consequences.
If the previous error is encountered, please apply the following steps for all the nodes on the client computer:
Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
Right-click MSV1_0, point to New, and then click Multi-String Value.
In the Name column, type BackConnectionHostNames, and then press ENTER.
Right-click BackConnectionHostNames, and then click Modify.
In the Value data box, type the CNAME or the DNS alias, that is used for the local shares on the computer, and then click OK.Notes: Type each host name on a separate line. If the BackConnectionHostNames registry entry exists as a REG_DWORD type, you have to delete the BackConnectionHostNames registry entry.
Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.
Click on the Test button to confirm successful connection to poll Exchange Public Folders.
If the issue still persists, please generate the troubleshooting logs as follows:
- Make sure that you have tracing enabled.
- Wait for at least 30 minutes to gather enough information and for the issue to be reproduced.
- Run the troubleshooter:
- Start > Programs > GFI MailEssentials > Troubleshooter
- Follow the Log Generation Wizard for collecting the required and pertinent information.
- Select New Case when completing the log generation to attach the logs to a new case that will be automatically created, or open a support ticket manually and attach the logs to that ticket, so that the Support team can investigate the problem.