The MailEssentials Configuration UI does not allow changing the settings on the Actions tab or the Updates tab for the Anti-Phishing filter. Clicking on the Apply button does not give an error message but just reverts back to the original settings.
This undesired behavior may be caused by a corruption in the database holding the configuration or by a temporary lock on the file itself. This is usually resolved by following these steps:
- Take a backup copy of the
config.mdbfile located at
- After backing up the file, open the
config.mdbfile in Microsoft Access.
- Go to Database Tools.
- Click on the Compact and Repair Database.
- Exit Microsoft Access.
Repairing the database should allow the settings to be saved. If this does not solve the issue, it usually indicates that the database may be under a temporary lock.
In this situation the following workaround can be attempted by moving to different filters, making changes either in the actions tab or updates, and then going back to the Anti-Phishing filter. After a couple of tries, the temporary lock is lifted, the settings are now saved correctly and the issue is not reproducible anymore.
After repairing the database, or removing the temporary lock as described above, the settings should update correctly.
If the issue still persists, please generate the troubleshooting logs as follows:
- Make sure that you have tracing enabled.
- Wait for at least 30 minutes to gather enough information and for the issue to be reproduced.
- Run the troubleshooter:
- Start > Programs > GFI MailEssentials > Troubleshooter
- Follow the Log Generation Wizard for collecting the required and pertinent information.
- Select New Case when completing the log generation to attach the logs to a new case that will be automatically created, or open a support ticket manually and attach the logs to that ticket, so that the Support team can investigate the problem.